The holiday season can lead to stress, leaving your body tense and vulnerable to a number of unwanted maladies. One way to combat holiday stress is through acupuncture, a medical practice that improves the body’s functions by stimulating specific areas. Most often, these points are penetrated with a thin needle, resulting in pain reduction. A number of conditions are commonly treated with acupuncture:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
Conquer stress, anxiety, and the following symptoms this holiday season:
● Hectic Holiday Headaches – Stress often causes tension headaches or other forms of head pain. Acupuncture helps to relieve and prevent headaches by stimulating nerves located in muscles and tissues. It can also positively affect serotonin levels, which may be linked to migraines. Acupuncture can also reduce inflammation and increase blood flow.
● Upset Stomach and Nausea – When the brain feels stressed, it releases hormones that can disrupt the digestive system. Stress and anxiety often lead to indigestion, stomach aches, nausea and diarrhea. Acupuncture helps activate the hypothalamus, a portion of the brain linked to the nervous system and responsible for certain metabolic processes.
● Stress-induced Insomnia – Sleepless nights caused by stress can easily be remedied with acupuncture. Acupuncture increases the body’s melatonin production, a hormone that regulates sleep.
● Colds and Infections – Stress has a major impact on the immune system. The body releases certain hormones to prepare itself for a “fight or flight” reaction when under stress. With acupuncture treatment, the body is able to increase the number of immune cell types to fight off colds or infections.
● Unstable Emotions – High stress levels can cause mood swings, increase anxiety, and/or lead to depression. Acupuncture regulates hormone levels such as serotonin and dopamine and helps to stimulate the body’s production of endorphins. While stress activates the sympathetic nervous system, acupuncture initiates a relaxing response.
Oriole Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Centre offers acupuncture services in North York. We can help resolve ailments preventing you from living your best, healthiest life. We also offer physiotherapy, massage therapy, spinal decompression, and sports injury recovery. Each patient receives personal, tailored treatment. Come by our North York office or give us a call at (416) 221-0744 to see how we can assist you this holiday season.